Thursday, October 12, 2006

Jen: As We Become Machines: Corporealized Pleasures In Video Games | Martti Lahti

The article discusses the relationship between the body and technology, as represented by computer games, It discusses the evolution of computer games in brief detail, suggesting that as that evolution progressed, instead of separating us further from our bodies, it actually grounds us in them. It then briefly discusses 'cyber envy', described as a longing to cross the human/machine boundary, represented by various games in which you can change your 'skin', play as your opposite race or gender, or ungrade your 'body' to become faster and stronger. However the article concludes that we can never cross this boundary and leave our bodies behind.

There are several issues to discuss regarding this article, and while I'll go into more detail in the tute I'll briefly outline some here. Do you agree with the main argument of the article, that video games ground us in our bodies rather than freeing us from them, or do you think that new media allows us to have 'out of body' experiences? The article mentions physically ducking and leaning in response to stimuli on the screen as evidence of a cybernetic loop between player and computer. Do you think this is evidence of such a loop, or merely an ingrained reaction to certain stimuli that would occur in the real world? What is your opinion on what Lahti describes as 'cyber envy'?

Finally, one can take pleasure in all sorts of leisure activities, many non-technological. Is it overanalysing to talk about cybernetic loops and desires to blur man/machine boundries when regarding a player enjoying his computer game experience, or is it a necessary analysis of his enjoyment?

1 Comments:

At Friday, October 13, 2006 3:57:00 PM, Blogger Vel'ithya said...

My presentation seemed to go pretty well. After my summary, the initial question I posed made for really solid discussion of the question, and covered most of the other questions I was going to ask.

I believe the general consensus of the tutorial group was that they agreed with the main point of the article, that video games do ground us in our bodies. They also came to the conclusion that analysis of popular culture is important among a society, and so analysis of a player's enjoyment of a game was indeed necessary.

Overall it was a pretty good discussion and everyone seemed to get involved. :)

And now that the mandatory comment part of this comment is over, thanks for your comment, Stephbird! I'm glad you found my presentation engaging, I guess I was able to present it fairly well because of my background experience of computer games and my status as a female gamer in online communities. It sort of makes it a bit easier to come at topics such as this because I have a frame of reference. I'm glad that you were able to approach the topic through my presentation and understand where I was coming from. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home